The orange treasure trove of goodness! This beauty of a vegetable is delicious and nutritious all in one package. Let’s explore the numerous benefits aboard the sweet potato!
- The captain of vitamin A! This food has the highest amount of vitamin A than any other food on Earth
- Also packed with potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6 crewmates, all of which support energy
- Has a large cargo of beta-carotene, which helps convert vitamin A to trigger DNA producing new skin cells. Just eating it will enhance your skin health, but you can also make a facial scrub out of it
- High in fiber for ship-shape digestion
- Low on the glycemic index (meaning it won’t spike blood sugar levels)
- The color of the sweet potato directly links to its nutritious content. The more yellow/orange color, the more beta-carotene it has. Relatedly, purple varieties of sweet potatoes have more antioxidant properties with deeper colored flesh.
Another bonus of the sweet potato is that it’s very cheap and stores for a significant amount of time (about one month in a cool, dark area). They also are available year-round in many countries. The sweet potato is a great anchor for those watching their dubloons!
Cooking for the Messdeck
There are so many ways to cook sweet potatoes! Boiling, stir-frying, steaming, baking, this spud has so many uses. They definitely encourage exploration in the kitchen!
Tip: Pairing some fat with your sweet potato will help increase the beta-carotene uptake. It only takes a minimal amount of fat to get this bountiful booty of nutrition, plus it makes it even tastier!
Here’s a few recipe maps to start your culinary journey off for delectable treasure!